Learning how to secure your home before leaving on vacation can help ensure you are able to enjoy it – whether it is during a holiday such as Christmas or Hanukkah or on Spring Break! How you decide to secure your home before leaving on vacation is dependent on how much time and money you are willing to invest. Here are some helpful ideas and tips (in order of least expensive to most expensive) on how to secure your home.
- Make sure your doors and windows are locked before you leave.
- Ask a neighbor to pick up the newspaper if you get it delivered and have the post office hold your mail.
- Never post online that you will be out of town!
- Alarm your house if you have one.
- Form a neighborhood watch group with you local police department so everyone becomes extra aware. Ask them to watch your property while you’re gone and do the same for them!
- Make sure your gardener doesn’t stop coming by while you’re away. A clean yard means someone is taking care of it.
- Get some wood to wedge your doors and windows shut
- Have the porch light turn on using a light sensor or timer.
- Install solar powered lights in the front of your property. They will turn on in the evenings.
- Leave a stereo on – light noise may deter criminals as they get close.
- Lights on timers set to turn on in the evenings make potential intruders think someone is home.
- Get a “Home Automation” system installed so you can turn the lights on and off remotely.
- Install a remotely monitored surveillance camera system so you can watch your property if you really feel the urge to.
- Hire a qualified security firm like AEGIS Security & Investigations, Inc. to securely watch over you home.
By implementing these techniques together, you can help try to ensure that would be burglars move on to the next house rather than ransacking yours. Stay safe and enjoy your much needed vacation!